Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Barcoded country definitive use - show us yours!

As we all know, country definitive stamp usage was not high before the invalidation of the gummed ones and introduction of the barcoded self-adhesive ones. There was anecdotal evidence last year that the new ones were proving more popular.

I thought it would be useful to record non-philatelic use of these stamps in an attempt to get all of the 2nd & 1st class ones, at least, and find out how long it took to get the set of 8.  If I can get international use of any, including the airmail rate, then I'll add that.

These were issued on 11 August 2022, so this first use is over 12 months after issue.  If you have earlier ones that are not philatelically inspired, please send images and an explanation.

This new post is prompted by the receipt by my mother from my cousin of the first one I have seen, the 1st class Wales used from Ceredigion and postmarked Chester & N Wales 08/09/2023.

1st class Wales barcoded country definitive used in September 2023.


Update 5 October:

My thanks to JF for sending this clipping of a 2nd class Northern Ireland barcoded stamp used locally on 2 October 2023.

2nd class Northern Ireland barcoded country definitive used October 2023.




10 comments:

  1. I should like to use some, and used t trawl for post offices which had the English ones, & the welsh ones when I went on holiday to Cardigan, but after about 2018 I could not get them anywhere except Colchester. I do not like the QR ones so much and generally use the pretty 2nd class ones we have had lately - eg - Blackadder but I should like some country definitives, but where can you get them? I am the other side of the country from Cardigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Royal Mail website sell barcoded regionals (Country) stamps currently.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that. I may do that when I need more 2nd Class NVIs for Xmas. What I was hinting at, though, is that I do not think Royal Mail means them to be used: other than for philatelists who pay for having a letter delivered; but forego what they have paid for. I suspect that Post Offices do not really stock them> Anywhere. Has any reader got any from an ordinary PO?

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. The stamp shown would not have been bought from the Bureau.

      Over on the 'Stamps' post in August 22 when these were first issued, Trevor wrote:

      A comment from Trevor copied over from the Post & Go thread:

      "Bridgend ..... had all the Welsh datamatrix definitives in stock and were happy to tear off the combinations I wanted. They said now that they are self adhesive there is a bigger appetite for them from customers and they always try and keep them in stock."

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've probably mentioned this before (in the main Norphil blog). I used to sometimes see pre-barcode versions in my local sub-PO in South London. Next time I'm there I'll ask (and get a couple to send if I can). I did once ask in a Dundee post office and was told "Naebody ever asked that afore".

      Delete
    2. Encouraged by Neil B I called into a Post Office in Vigo, which had a notice advertising Xmas stamps available so I thought it possible that they would have the new English stamps. As usual the postmistress assumed I wanted British 2nd class ones. I showed her an old envelope with an English 2nd definitive on it. She told me that it was obsolete and showed me the Machin ones again. I told her that they had printed English ones again but with barcodes on them but she told me firmly that I was mistaken. We have seen an Ulster and a Welsh one on this blog, so they have printed national definitives, but probably in minute quantities and have not told postmasters and postmistresses about them. I shall seek some in a proper Post Office next week and see how that goes. Watch this space!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your efforts; I don't think they have any locally in the Crown Office.

      Just for the record, the traditional province of Ulster comprises several counties, some of which are in Northern Ireland and some in the Republic (yes, I was only reminded recently!). So we should use Northern Ireland.

      Delete
  3. Tried again at the village hall in Bulphan, Essex; which has a post office counter on Thursdays and Fridays. Charming postmistress but no English stamps at all...nor make-up values...nor £2.20s. Just Xmas and definitive 1st & 2nd class.

    ReplyDelete